Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Whew - what a week

Well, I'm almost a week behind in this blog! I've been really busy with prep for the classes I teach at UNC. I have not had a spare minute between teaching and class prep, meetings at church, kid stuff, and training. The class prep has been the most time-consuming part this last week as I had two exams to prepare (from scratch), 5 lectures, 3 assignments to grade, and numerous emails from students. I enjoy it all but it's been more than the usual amount.

Anyway, recap of the last week's training:
Friday: swam 50 mins at the Rec Center. Intended to swim an hour but didn't have time. I had to stop to use the restroom and also talk with Tom M. re technique tips (which are always good from him!). It was a good swim but I didn't feel as tired as the week before.

Saturday: Last training brick: 2 hr ride and 1 hr run. Didn't get out on my bike until 12:03 (to be exact) due to K's soccer game and other activities. I rarely ride in the afternoon and NEVER run in the afternoon so wasn't sure how I would feel. Surprisingly, I felt great! The weather was nice - mid 60's with no wind. I had a lot of energy and when I got to Windsor I was tempted to keep riding past the 2 hr mark and just make it a long ride. But decided to just stick to the plan and headed back. Instead of going back on O street, I went up 257 hill to highway 34, out on 34 for a few miles and back on 20th. Got back home exactly in 2 hrs (2:03).

Jumped off my bike and threw on my running clothes. Headed out and felt the old familiar "tired leg" feeling you have after biking. But kept going - ran about 45 mins, cutting it short to have juice left for the run I had planned on Sunday.

Sunday: Went to Jenny's with Daisy and had a nice group run. There was a good size group there: Brenda, Kevin, Jenny, Marshall, Jim, Todd, and Duane. We all ran to the stop sign and everyone but me, Jim, and Duane ran on for a longer run. Since I had Daisy, I ran back with Jim and Duane. Really enjoyed running with them! I felt a little jealous of Marshall doing the longer run but by the time I got back, my legs were ready to stop and I decided it was ok - we did 7 miles at a good pace and that was ok (I hope!).

Monday: Master's swim. Felt tired and not very strong. Did most of the workout but used pull buoy and fins. Just didn't have a lot of energy. Worried that I wasn't doing well...but pulled myself out of it later on.

Tuesday (today): Ran with Kurt out to Lowe's and back (6 miles), plus an extra mile around my house. Felt pretty good but could tell my legs were tired.

So, one week from tomorrow we leave for Florida!!! I can't believe it's this close...yet, it seems like it has taken forever to get here. I go back and forth between feeling very confident to feeling total panic...but I know that at this point, there's nothing I can do about it. I find myself second-guessing myself a lot...I should've done this, I should've done that...but trying not to do that.

The hard thing this last week has been how busy with work I've been. I work on my classes early morning, late at night, and every spare minute I have. I'm constantly making slides, reading research papers, grading student's papers, and working on my lectures - seriously, every spare minute I ahve. I'm wondering if I'm a little obsessed with it.

Anyway, tomorrow is Weds and Master's swim. I want to do a hard workout and it will be my last hard swim before the IM. I think that's a good idea (and I should look at the plan but I go more by how I feel than anything else).

Too tired to write more...one more week and I'm outta here!

No comments: