Friday, October 30, 2009

Good news, bad news

Like everything else in life, there's always the good and the bad. I'm trying hard to focus ONLY on the good right now. But I do have a bit of bad news: a possible injury (that is very painful today).

OK, the good first. I ran today (instead of swimming, which I'll do tomorrow) and despite the awful road conditions - and they were worse than I expected - I ran for an hour and barely felt winded. I felt like I could have easily run another hour. This is a good thing, esp one week before an Ironman (mentally, at least).

Another good thing: I'm feeling much more confident about the swim. Jim Fuller told me "it's only a half mile to the first buoy so you're never out there that far". That really helped put my mind at ease. To think of it as only a half mile out and half back in (with 1/10 between the buoys) sounds relatively easy to me. YAY!!!!! Can I say that again? YAY!!!!!

And my bike is on it's way to Florida - woo hoo! That feels very good. My transition bag with all the stuff I listed in my last posting is with the bike.

Now for the bad: I have acquired severe hip pain in my left hip. It hurts very bad today. It hurts so bad when I first stand up, after sitting for awhile, that I can hardly walk. Yes, it hurt when I ran today and yes, it is worrying me quite a bit.

I've trained for a frickin' year without a single injury and one week before the event I get an excruciating pain in my hip!

Trying to stay calm...at least it's not my knees or feet, I think that would be worse. But it really hurts when I walk.

Off to class....hobbling, of course.

No comments: