Thursday, October 29, 2009

So close!

I can't believe the IM is this close....8 days away! So much to do, so much to think about, and so much to pack.

Yesterday and today were a bit stressful. I had planned on picking up my bike after getting the kids (my bike was at the Bike Peddler getting tuned up). But due to the snowstorm that cause us all by surprise, Andy shut down the shop for 2 days and Marshall is taking the bikes to Niwot on Friday morning. Yikes - how do I get my bike out of the shop before Friday???

Long story short, I was able to get ahold of Andy (thanks to Jim Fuller!). Andy met me at the shop today (but he was 15 mins late and that was the longest 15 mins I've ever experienced!). He found a small nail in my back tire and removed it, but it made me nervous wondering if the tire was going to be ok.

Dropped my bike off at Marshall's along with my bike bag. It was surreal packing my bike bag. I hope I remembered everything! This is what I packed:
helmet,
gloves
sleeves
body glide
running clothes
biking clothes (except shoes and jacket - want the shoes so I can ride my trainer before I leave)
bike tools
C02 cartridges
Powerbars
CarboPro
Ensure drink (generic brand)
wetsuit
race number belt (2 of them)

I think that's it. I'll bring everything else when we fly down next Weds. I hope the guy driving the truck doesn't run into any problems!

I decided to go with CarboPro instead of EFS. CarboPro doesn't have any magnesium in it and I've heard magnesium can cause diarrhea. Jim Fuller was kind enough to give me powdered CarboPro and I will just add it to my water bottle. But it will be very concentrated - if I mix it the way he told me to. Wish I had tried this on a long run!

But I think I'll be ok. I tried the Ensure-like product and it worked fine. I also ate Powerbars and drank Gatorade and those worked great too. And of course, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich - which I'll get when I'm there (sorry too tired to write this out more clearly!).

The other issue is weather. I just checked the 10-day forecast and up until Saturday, it was a picture of a bright sun. On the day of the race, it was a picture of rain clouds and said "showers". I hope it doesn't rain on the bike course! I won't mind the run so much because it will be warm but the bike could be a problem. The high will be 63 - not nearly as warm as I expected - and very humid. Ugh. Hoping the forecast will change by then!

Yesterday I did Master's swim. We did a ladder of 1200 yards. With the warmup, I did a total of 2000 yards. Not bad. Today I ran on the treadmill for 30 mins (boring!) and tomorrow I will swim again. I think I'll do 50 mins nonstop.

Too sleepy to write more. But will write more for sure because there's a lot more to say.

No comments: