Friday, October 2, 2009

Long swim

This was my 2nd attempt at swimming nonstop for one hour and I think I accomplished that goal. Got in the pool by 6:10 AM and swam until 7:10 but did stop a few times to chat with Todd and Kurt and once to go to the bathroom.

Its funny how things change. I couldn't imagine swimming for an hour a year ago. And it wasn't easy, esp since I was very focused on my form and technique, which made it less relaxing. Nancy had given me some tips on Weds and I was trying to do what she suggested.

One tip she gave me was to rotate my hips more. Richard had told me the same thing but she demonstrated what it should look like and I realized that I was not doing what she said. So, today I really rotated my hips and now I'm sore! Its only been 7 hrs since I swam but my hips are sore (I can't wait til tomorrow to see how it will feel!).

I used the pull-thingy and my fins for part of the swim but kept going for most of the time. My shoulders were tired toward the end but not overly so. I could've kept swimming if I had to (and I will have to on Nov. 7th!).

The other thing I've noticed on the two days that I've swam "long" is the slight headache you get. My friend, Julie, told me that she would always get a headache on long swim days and yep, I got one! It's not bad, just kinda dull achey feeling.

I've really got the swim routine down too. I have my bag packed with swim cap and goggles, always ready to go, and all I have to add is clean underwear and towel. I put my suit on here and just wear sweat clothes over it - pretty easy routine. I don't take a shower there so that really simplifies things, but that means I have to leave the Rec Center with a wet head, which is not fun in the winter time!

I've decided to keep on swimming after the IM. This is the first time I've ever been consistent in my swimming and I'd love to see how much I can improve over the winter. I plan on doing at least L2L and a few other Olympic distance tri's.

Gearing up for the first of two big weekends. Tomorrow I'm running for 3 hrs and Sunday I'm riding for 5.5. Let the fun begin!

No comments: