Saturday, October 10, 2009

The last big run











Today was the last "big" workout - yay! The plan called for a 3:15 run and we got 'er done. It was probably one of the hardest runs I've done in a long, long time.
In fact, I haven't run that far since I did the Cody Wyoming marathon, which was so long ago I don't even remember if it was in Cody! It was at least 10 yrs ago. Since then I haven't run longer than 2 hrs or so.
And it started on a very cold day: 13 degrees when I went out the door. We got a suprise storm last night and the ground was covered lightly in snow. The plan was for Marshall and I to leave our houses at 7:15 AM to run to Sanborn Park and then out to Jenny's, where Lynne, Brenda, and Dan would join us.
Even though it was 13 degrees, I was dressed warm enough that I never got cold. Felt warm and comfy the entire 3 hrs and 15 mins. I'm proud of that fact as it reflects 20+ yrs of winter running and it's one thing I do well (run in the cold).
But the distance was tough! Especially after riding 5 hrs yesterday and two tempo runs prior to that (and a 4.5 hr hard bike ride prior to that!). My legs were (and are) toast. In fact, they hurt just sitting here.
But I'm so glad I got it done AND that I didn't cut it short. It was tempting to just stop at Jenny's when we got back but Marshall and Lynne met me at the driveway (they finished before me) and said we had 30 mins to go to get the full 3:15 in (ouch!). So off we went for 30 more minutes.
I will say that it was painful. My legs were killing me. The 5 hrs of biking were taking their toll but I knew I had to keep going and I did.
As I sit here writing this blog, my legs feel like they are on fire. Its been so long since I've felt this extreme soreness I had forgotten how much it hurts! But I also feel like I'm prepared now for the IM, for the most part.
Now it's time to taper....for a week at least and then we do a long brick next weekend. But the nice part is taht from now on, I only have ONE hard workout each weekend instead of two and I can't tell you how glad I am for that!
Less than a month away....




No comments: