Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weird Wednesday

Sleep is a good thing....a really good thing. And I obviously needed it today as I slept until the ungodly hour of 7:00 AM.

And its weird because I missed Master's swim (Master's is Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:15 AM). I didn't get much sleep Monday night and I stayed up last night until 11:00 (oh no!) so I knew I wouldn't want to get up at 5:15 this morning. And I didn't.

So, time to do another switcheroo workout. No swim = more time for running (yippee!).  After dropping off my kids at school, I donned my running shoes and I was out the door.

I ran from my mom's house, which is in west Greeley. I love running out there because I can actually see the mountains. People think that when you live in Colorado that you're surrounded by the Rocky Mountains (not!). But there is a pretty good view from west Greeley.

Long's Peak looked especially majestic this morning. I cranked my Ipod and totally zoned out.

The first half of the run was slow and easy (another change with aging, is the amt of time spent warming up - its probably about doubled!).  Then, as I approached the hill north of the Fun Plex, aka Bunny Hill, I decided to do some hill repeats.

At first it felt easy and I thought that I would have to do quite a few hill repeats to get my heart rate up. But that quickly changed as I neared the top of the first hill. I was totally out of breath. Ugh. This hurts. Maybe swimming wouldn't have been that bad....

But I turned around and ran back down the hill. Its a fairly long hill so I only had time for 3 hill repeats but that was enough. I still had to run back to my mom's house. All told, I probably only ran 4 miles but the 3 long sprints up the hill were enough to make the run equal to at least 10 miles of effort (ok, maybe not that much...).

Tomorrow I'll ride indoors and swim on Friday....unless I get another visit from Mr. Sandman....

2 comments:

WildWill said...

Just answering your question on my blog
"Cindy I am self coached - i go by feel and experience"

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Cool! I used Gale Bernhardt's 13 week IM training plan last time and not sure what I'm doing this time...probably the same one although I adapt it to my schedule quite a bit and I certainly do not do the amt of swimming that she recommends.