Monday, September 21, 2009

Mondays are hard

Master swim practice was good but very hard today. I'm finding that Monday mornings that follow hard weekends (16 miles of running, 40 miles of biking, lawn mowing, kid chasing, etc), I'm toast. I swam the warm-up and the main set but I could tell I was tired.

The good news is that I'm enjoying Master's swim now. I never, ever thought I'd say that but it's true. I recall way back (and I think its in my blog somewhere) driving down to the Rec Center one cold winter day to swim and I turned around and went home before even getting out of my car. I just didn't want to go.

Now I enjoy it. I'm the slowest person there (even with my fins on) but I don't care. Most everyone there has been swimming for many years and I just started this last year. And I think I've improved quite a bit. So, that's good enough for me!

Tomorrow I should run but I'll see how much legs feel. I might bike if they are sore (easier to bike on sore legs than run!).

I did learn one thing this last weekend - I like swimming and biking with other people. I did a solo swim and bike and it was just ok, I thought I wouldn't care if anyone was with me but I did. It's much more enjoyable to swim and bike with others. Short rides are fine by myself but the long ones get a little boring on my own.

Running is completely different - I don't mind running alone and have done it for years. Even long runs I can do alone or with people, it doesn't matter. If I've had a stressful week, I prefer to run alone and just listen to music. It's like "resetting my brain".

No comments: