Monday, March 2, 2009

Just Do It

OK, so I'm really trying to get serious about training. I decided that I HAVE to bike at least twice a week until the weather is good enough to bike 3 times/week. The forecast called for 70 degrees today (can ya believe it?) so I got my butt out there for 90 mins today. But it wasn't easy.

First, I had to ignore the urge to run, which I feel almost every morning. I've been running at this time for almost 25 years now (wow, is that right?) and I think I could do it in my sleep....my body just wants to propel itself out the door and down the road...

But today I told myself that I need to bike and because it's still cool in the morning, I had to wait until afternoon to ride.....worked on the computer for 2-3 hours (taking breaks to clean the house) and got out the door by 2:00. It felt strange to be exercising in the afternoon.

I'm also not comfortable riding in traffic. The cars whizzing by so close I can almost feel them make me nervous, esp out in the country. But I kept saying to myself "just do it" (thanks, Nike).

I rode out to 83rd Avenue and headed north, with the intention of going to Windsor. I hate crossing 35th Avenue from the side street I have to take....I literally have to ride across two lanes to get into the left turn lane on 35th at 20th street. This time the coast was clear so I zoomed over quickly.

Anyway, there was construction on 83rd Ave, near 10th street. I could've rode through the construction but I chickened out and turned around. Took 83rd south to Twin Rivers Parkway and headed south for awhile. I didn't realize that is the same road we run on from Jenny's house....except we come from the other direction. Funny how things seem different on a bike!

I headed south for awhile and then turned around (I have kids, you know). Turned east on 37th street and took that all the way to 23rd Avenue, which wasn't the greatest place to ride - too much traffic! Too many people passed me without giving me an inch and one driver yelled at me. I was tempted to flip them off but resisted....

So, I got in 90 mins of cycling but it wasn't very relaxing. I need to find different routes or ride at a different time of day. But I am glad I did it because I came close to baggin' it. Oh well, come November I'll be glad I got the biking in, even if some rides aren't too exciting.

No comments: