Saturday, March 7, 2009

I'm in love with Ogden!

Yep, it's true. I'm here with Kurt and the kids to watch Kurt do one of the craziest races out there: the Xterra Winter Quadrathlon in Ogden, Utah. One of my best friends, Julie H., lives here so we are staying with her for the weekend (and her family).

Julie is a dietitian and runner like me. We've known each other for years and talk on the phone at least once a week. She is one of the coolest people I know.

So, we drove from Greeley on Friday (7 hrs) and the race is on Sunday. I went for a long run today by myself and fell in love with Ogden. It's a great town! And it's not Mormon! Hee hee hee....anyway, the mountains are so close and so high....covered with snow right now. Love it.

Julie just had surgery so she couldn't run with me. She gave me directions for a great running route, her Garmen, some Gatorade, and off I went. It was clear, sunny, and about 20 degrees (perfect for me).

The route took me along a winding road that eventually went straight down, or at least it seemed that way. It was a very steep downhill. And if you go down on the way out, that means you have to go up on the way back. Note to self: don't take this route next time!

Actually it was a fabulous running route. I felt like I was flying the whole way. New music on my Ipod and hey, I'm set. But oh-my-gawd, that hill was really hard on the way back!

According to the Garmen, I "only" ran 9 miles but it was ok. I really enjoyed this run. I need to run tomorrow too since I can't run on Monday (leaving early to drive back to Greeley) so I'm glad I cut it shorter this week.

Kurt took the kids skiing, which is only 30 mins from here! Another reason to like this town. Had a wonderful lunch at a Mexican cafe and a quiet afternoon without the kids......aaahhhhh my kind of vacation!

No comments: