Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Aaaahhhh.....warm weather running

I wore shorts and a short-sleeved shirt on my run this AM and could've easily worn a singlet. It's so warm outside! It feels great but of course, I'm thinking "is this global warming?" in the back of my mind. At the very least, it aint good for the grass and trees.

But the first warm run of the year always feels good to me. Even though my favorite running temp is 35 degrees (if its sunny with no wind), I still relish the first warm run of the year. The kind of run where you don't have to wait to warm up....it's just warm (and not hot) from the very beginning. That's how it was today.

My legs were tired from biking yesterday but it still felt good to run. In fact, I should start running on tired legs now. I had new music on my Ipod too, which always makes my runs more interesting. I downloaded Slumdog Millionaire's soundtrack and love it! Great running music.

Music really makes running more enjoyable. I know some people think you shouldn't listen to music while you run, that it's not safe (my husband is one of those people) but I don't care. I do it anyway. I am very careful to watch traffic and to listen for sirens or approaching bicyclists from behind (who shouldn't be on the sidewalk anyway!) so I think I'm good.

I have a wide range of music on my Ipod. Everything from Elvis Presley to Cold Play, from Queen to U2, from Martina McBride to Joan Jett. I generally don't like slow songs for running but occasionally a mellow tune finds it's way into my ears. Latika's Theme from Slumdog is very nice.

But today was not a good day for Daisy. I wanted to run 6-7 miles and thought she could make it but the warm temp really slowed her down. I got about 2 miles into the run (feeling great, btw) and she just stopped and layed down. She was panting very hard. I felt really bad!

I decided to drag her to my mom's house so that she could get some water and rest in the shade. But that meant I had to run home, making my run to be 8 miles. The other choice was to go back home, leave her there and then go back out. But I really don't like doing that. So I headed for my mom's house.

When I got there and gave her some water, she literally laid down and drank the water. She is just not meant for warm weather running. I ran home but faded about mid-way home. It took me exactly 36 minutes to run the 4 miles so I kept a 9 min pace, which wasn't too bad actually. And I'm really glad I got 8 miles in!

Hoping to bike again tomorrow, if I can do it. We'll see.

No comments: