Monday, February 2, 2009

Rocky Mountain High






If it weren't for these amazing runs that always seem to happen when you least expect it, I don't know if I'd continue to run.


Every runner knows what I'm talking about - the kind of run you have once in awhile (and the older you get, the longer that while is) where everything falls into place and you feel like you could run forever. I had one of those runs on Sunday.


We were in Winter Park with the kids and Sasha, our Ukrainian exchange student. Kurt and I ran on Sat morning but we didn't have time to run for more than 30 mins. I was tired and sluggish. One of those runs where you just do it to get it over with.


Then, on Sunday, I had the "magical" run. My energy level seemed to go through the roof and I literally felt like I could run for hours. It was cold and we were at approx. 8000 feet altitude (whatever Winter Park is), but I was comfortably warm and felt like I was running at sea-level.


Kurt and I ran together for the first 40 mins and we laughed quite a bit along the way. I carried my camera (of course!) and we took pictures of each other (above). Aside from stopping for a train, we sailed right along at a good pace. Then he went back to get the kids ready for skiing, letting me "sail" on a little longer.


After he left, I turned on my Ipod. The sun was just coming up over the mountains and the music was crystal clear. Ironically, the song that came on first was "Run" by Cold Play, one of my favorites. I cruised up the long hill leading to our condo and felt so good, I ran further up the hill. I just did not want to stop!


I got to the driveway leading to our condo and walked the rest of the way....only because I didn't want this experience to end. I turned off my Ipod and listened to the early-morning silence and the crunching of the snow under my feet. It's moments like these that make you glad to be a runner.


The high from yesterday's run seemed to continue on today...I finally had a great swim. I probably only swam 1000 yards or so but it felt easy, for once. Didn't tire out as quickly. I still have a long way to go to feel ready for an Ironman, but with a run like I had yesterday and a swim like today, it doesn't seem that far out of reach!

No comments: