Monday, February 23, 2009

Counting my blessings

That's what I did on my run yesterday morning, after seeing my son fall through the ice on Saturday at Beaver Meadows Resort Ranch!

He was walking around the edge of the pond that I was skating on and, as he later exlained, he thought he was on a snow-covered bank but lo and behold, it was thin ice. He fell in up to his chest! I was at the other end of the pond and didn't hear him screaming at first...then I turned around and saw a group of teenagers trying to reach him. They managed to pull him out before I got there and although he was unharmed, he was scared to death and crying so hard he could hardly speak. Thank God he's ok!

It's times like those that make you step back and appreciate what you got! And it sure makes training for an Ironman seem like trivial stuff.

But I did get a really good run in on Sunday morning. Ran by myself since I needed to be back by 9:30. I enjoy running long runs by myself once in a while. I get to listen to music that I normally don't listen to and I just relax and let my mind wander. I can stop when I want and go back when I want. I love running with friends and prefer to do long runs with them, but once in awhile it's nice to go solo.

This run was unique. I ran Daisy for 4 miles and took her back home, which I wasn't crazy about at first because it's hard to go back out once your home but I didn't give myself a choice and headed back on the road after dropping her off (she's not ready to run super long with me yet). And guess what? I felt GREAT! I ended up going much longer than I expected - ran out by Target and back through some residential areas....about 80 mins long and I felt I could've easily run another 15 mins or so but didn't have time.

I have a busy work week this week (three presesntations to give) so I'll just bike or run for the next few days since they are "quicker" and then start swimming more consistently again starting March 1st. But for now, no ice skating on outdoor ponds.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yikes. Glad to hear it worked out. I am wanting to run Saturday. You up for it???