Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cold, sore, and tired




That's how I felt after today's run! Ran with Lynne, Marshall, Kennon (sp?), Kevin, and Jenny, from Jenny's house. Jenny had asked if I could go 2 hrs to which I had naively said "sure". Within 2 miles of the run I realized that no, I was not up for 2 hrs.....and how could I be when the longest I had run recently was 8 miles????


But I didn't want to disappoint Jenny AND I thought maybe I could do it. Lynne, Marshall, and Kennon peeled off about halfway to go back sooner. I decided to keep going with Jenny and Kevin.


But it seemed like the temperature dropped 20 degrees (well, not that much but it felt like it!) and my legs felt like lead pipes - heavy, cold, and stiff. I went slower and slower.....and Jenny and Kevin kept right on going....I fell way behind and because I was going so slow, I got really, really, really...did I say really....cold! I had been sweating and every runner knows the bone-chilling cold you get when you sweat and then stay in the same sweaty clothes in cold air - ARRGGHH!


Plus, it was cloudy and dreary out and I just wanted to go home. My legs and butt hurt, my hands were frozen, and I was hungry.


I suppose to make it through an Ironman you have to ignore your body's aches and pains, ignore the pain and discomfort and push through the misery and constant yearnings for a hot shower and comfy couch and keep on truckin'....but it does beg the question: why do we do this????

Now that I'm showered, fed, warm, and rested, I feel fine and glad I went the distance. It was good to run with Jenny and Kevin. And hopefully I'll recover this fast after the IM next November!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think days like these are good ones because they prepare us for those moments in races when we don't want to go on, and you WILL have a moment or two like that in your Ironman. I do almost every race I'm in, even 5Ks.
The reason we do it is it makes the finishes that much sweeter. It prepares us for those tough moments in life (no way do I get through that first year with the twins without my mountaineering experience). And, admit it, it IS fun to see how far you can push your body without breaking. Plus it makes us appreciate the simple things in life: A hot shower, food, warm house. That's the most important of all and makes us realize how lucky we are.

Two suggestions: I can't believe I'm telling a nutritionist this, but it sounds like you were a bit depleted. Gel? Peanut butter and honey toast? Gatorade? Maybe not.

And two, you let your brain dictate your pain. You focused on it way too much and let yourself get discouraged. Easy to do. Done it many times myself. But knock it off. These runs are for mental preparation, not just physical, and so treat them that way. Train your brain to focus on something other than how miserable you are. I started doing that after a talk with Kevin and it has made a WORLD of difference. And I was a mountaineer! We all need that training, even when we're experienced.

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Thanks, Dan! Love the advice, sometimes we need to hear it. Nutritionally, I was fine; just didn't have it that day. Strep is running through our house and Kurt has a bad cold...wondering I had a touch of it as I didn't feel well altogether. Much better today.