Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baby, it's Cold Outside!

But I ran anyway...and loved it. My thermometer said 3 degrees when I headed out the door this morning but I stayed plenty warm. One thing I'm good at is running in cold weather (despite last Sat's run). I was warm and toasty for the entire run and was so glad to get outside for fresh air. I took Daisy and ran about 5-6 miles. She did great!

The only thing I don't like about running in the winter is how long it takes to get ready. Layering up just takes awhile, usually because the layers that I'm looking for are at the bottom of the laundry basket or stuffed in Kurt's drawer somewhere.

In "usual" winter weather, e.g., temperatures of 20 - 40, it's a piece of cake: tights, t-neck, long-sleeve shirt, vest, and gloves. Not bad.

When it's bitter cold, like today, it's: long underwear, tights, tall socks, long bra (covers the tummy and feels oh so good), silk turtleneck, long-sleeve shirt, jacket, hat, liner gloves, mittens, and neck gator. And of course, sunglasses and Ipod.

Today I actually got hot. The jacket I wore was too thick and I didn't need liner gloves AND mittens. I long for the warm spring days when all I need are shorts and a singlet and I'm out the door.

Daisy ran well today. She trotted along beside me and hardly strayed from the path. I love running with her.

Yesterday, I did the Spinervals 10.0 tape again - whew! That is one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. Plan to do that once a week from now on.

No comments: