Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Things We Do For Friends!


OK, I really flipped this time....I just signed up to run the Christmas Classic 4-Miler in Ft. Collins tomorrow AM and the forecast calls for a HIGH of 14 degrees! Snow and very, very cold. And I knew this ahead of time. Why am I signing up to run a race in frigid cold weather??? Because I promised my friend, Jenny, that I would - that's why!


She told me the other day she was going to run it and I thought to myself, "hey, we haven't gone to a race together in a long time, so I should go to this one!" But it was 53 degrees that day! I was warm and toasty when I made that decision! Tomorrow is supposed to be 14! I won't be warm and toasty tomorrow!


But that's the thing: I kinda like doing crazy, spontaneous things and for some weird reason, I've always liked to challenge Mother Nature....


When I lived in northern Maine, I would run at night when it was below 10 degrees and there was something thrilling about that....I have no idea what it is but I liked the feeling of conquering the cold. When I ran Imogene Pass Run (11 miles up to 13,000 feet and 8 screamin' miles down into Telluride), I loved the sharp, cold winds, running over rocks, and the delirious feeling of being at altitude...


Ok, so I'm weird, but at least I have one weird friend too. See ya tomorrow, Jenny!

No comments: