Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Risky Business

I feel like I should be in a confession booth writing this post and I'm not even Catholic. I have a confession to make...here goes: I ran today. I wasn't going to run for a week and I ran today.

But this is the deal: my hip was feeling good (no searing pain) and well, the weather was really nice and it was the time of day when I usually run and my body was just craving a good run.

So I made a deal with myself. I said I could run IF I went very slow and IF I would stop at the first twinge of pain and IF I stayed on soft surfaces. I decided to take Daisy since she usually stops a lot and that would force me to stop a lot too.

It worked quite well. I ran about 3 miles very slowly and for the most part, stayed on soft surfaces. I stopped multiple times with Daisy. I paid attention to my form and made sure I didn't twist or turn in any way that was not necessary. It felt so good to be outside!

Although I felt a slight twinge of pain with each footstrike, it was nowhere near what it was last week. After the run I took Advil and two extra strength Tylenols and iced the entire hip area for 20 mins. No pain!

But now, 8 hrs later, I feel it again. Its not any worse than its ever been but its still there. I didn't really expect it to go away and I'm glad its not worse.

I told Kurt and he thought that was ok. He can't get me in until Friday so he said a short run on soft surface was ok. I want him to assess it and then refer me to Proactive Physical Therapy, with either Darrell Martin or Todd Smith. They are the BEST physical therapists in town!

And, I got a good swim in today too. Made it to the pool slightly earlier this morning and warmed up for 200 yards, then did 6 x 125 and then 8 x 75's. Not a bad workout. My arms were really tired so I know I did something.

And one more thing re the hip situation. Its not really my hip...and its hard to explain where it is...but its the point of the bone to the left of the abdomen. Kurt says its the muscle that inserts into that bone there. It is obviously inflamed because it hurts so bad and I'm just curious to know what I did to it. Hopefully Darrell or Todd will know.

Until then, its rest, ice, and good ol' Celebrex!

No comments: