Friday, April 2, 2010

A Different World

On Thursday, I posted this on Facebook: "Its amazing how much time you have when you don't exercise"...and its true. Many people responded to that comment and although it sounded a little strange, I really meant it.

This is because I had decided to make good on my plan to lay off running (despite my 3 mile easy run/walk that I did on Weds) and NOT run on Thurs morning. It was so weird!  I had so much more time and surprisingly, I was very relaxed. I had finally convinced myself that running too much or too often would make the pain in my iliac crest (not hip, actually) get worse. So I worked all morning on an assignment for my class at UNC and it felt strange to have so much time!

The problem is, I didn't even walk or lift so later in the day I had the "slug" feeling, which is not good. Then today (Friday) I had planned on riding with Nancy but it was so cold and windy that we decided not to go. Instead, I did a 40 minute Spinerval tape and lifted a little bit.

The interesting news is that I scheduled myself in to see Kurt for my "hip" pain!  Talk about weird - seeing your spouse, who is a doctor, for a medical appointment. We decided to do that for several reasons (too many to write here) but the bottom line is that he examined my hip and gave me a shot to numb the pain. He also told me that my core is very weak, something I had suspected, and I'm "unbalanced".

What I really wanted was a referral to Proactive Physical Therapy, which I got, and will make an appt next week. I'm really looking forward to this appt because I think Darrell and Todd will have a good idea about what caused this pain and what to do about it. I really want to get started on a plan to strengthen my core and "balance" me so that I don't have this problem anymore.

That's all I can write now. Too tired...will try to run a short, easy run tomorrow and see what happens.  Wish me luck!

No comments: