Saturday, April 24, 2010

Parenting Trumps a Group Run

Well, its Saturday and my friends are all running at 8:00 this morning. They are running 12 miles and I would LOVE to be running with them. When my kids' soccer games for today were cancelled last night, I thought "yippee, I can run with the group" (at least start off with them and turn back after 3-4 miles).

But then the phone rang. It was the mom of one of Katerina's friends, who wanted to know if she could spend the night. Of course she can, that would be great. Katerina is at the age where friends are starting to be important to her so she was over the moon when I told her.

So, it would be just me and Evan for the evening (Kurt is out of town). I had never spent an evening with just Evan so this would be pretty cool (and it was). But it dawned on me that leaving to run with the group would mean leaving him alone, which is a whole different ball game than leaving the two kids alone.

At first I thought "no problem, he'll be fine" but then after remembering that my mother is also out of town, I realized that I couldn't say "if you get scared, you can call Daddy or grandma". Neither of them are around this morning and that would make being left alone seem even lonelier.

Bear in mind that this is a kid who LOVES his computer and who LOVES it when I'm gone because that means he gets to play his computer. I let him do that because it totally preoccupies him and he won't bug his sister when I'm gone. But this time, he would know that not only am I gone, but there is no one for him to call if he got scared. Not good.

And...one more reason I need to stay put....the wind. It is howling outside and it scares him to death. For some reason, he does not like ths sound of the wind. So, it looks like a ride on the trainer for me!

That's ok, I'd rather stay here with him anyway. The group runs are great but so is hangin' out with my son. He'd be happy as a clam if he could play his computer games while I rode my bike in the basement.

Such is the life of an Iron Quest Mama!

No comments: