Thursday, March 18, 2010

Quickie Swim

Kurt and I hit the pool this morning and I'm proud to say I was IN the pool at 6:20 AM!  That's the earliest I've ever made it. Not sure how I did it....it's all a blur right now.

We only swam for 30 mins but it was better than nothing. I did a combination of freestyle with and without the pull thingy and kicking. I like using the pull thingy because it keeps me afloat. I tend to sink without it. Plus, I heard that it mimics the bouyancy of a wetsuit fairly well.

I've learned that there are pros and cons to swimming on a non-Master's day. The pros are that you have a lane to yourself and you can go at your own speed and do whatever you damn well please.

The cons are that without a coach and a class full of really fast swimmers, its easy to slack off and/or lose motivation. I know I swim much harder and faster when I'm at Master's swim. But I also love the slow, easy pace of a non-Master's swim workout. I guess its best to include both in a training plan.

Speaking of training plans, I'm going to have to pick a training plan soon. Not sure if I'll use Gale Bernhardt's plan again. I emailed Wendy Mader re coaching fees but haven't heard back from her.

Tonight we have a winter's advisory for a snowstorm headed our way. Funny how I rode in shorts and short-sleeved jersey on Tuesday and tomorrow the high will be 32, with 3-5 inches of snow expected. Welcome to spring in Colorado.

Off to bed, hope to run or ride tomorrow, then long run with the group on Saturday. TTFN

No comments: