Saturday, March 13, 2010

Last Ski Day...I Think

Today was my 3rd and hopefully last day of hauling the kids and way too much gear up to Eldora for snowboarding lessons. I love my kids, of course, and I'm psyched that they are good snowboarders now but these Trek lessons are killing me.

First, I get up at 5:30 (which I do normally) and its a mad rush to get the kids ready and out the door (and wait til you hear what Fri night is like getting ready for this day!) and then its a 2 hr drive, door to door, then skiing by myself for 5 hrs, then skiing with the kids another hour, then loading up the car (which seems to take forever) and then an hour down the canyon (usually behind someone going just slightly under the speed limit so it also takes FOREVER), then eating in Boulder (not as fun as it sounds when you're dog-tired and sweaty from all the layers and wearing a helmet all day), then a long boring drive home that takes another hour. Ugh.

And the funny thing is, I love skiing. I really do. And its so cool watching the kids snowboard so effortlessly down the mountain. But it's a long haul to do in one day.

And so Friday night is worse....packing 3 lunches, finding ski clothes for the kids (socks, under garments, turtleneck, fleece jackets, ski coats, helmets, gloves, ski passes) and of course, there's always one glove missing, packing snacks for the ride home, making sure my ski's and their boards are in the topper, filling car up with gas, camera, sun screen, reading material (in case I linger in the lodge after lunch), water bottles, lip balm, and a movie for the kids to watch on the way up.

Its a major ordeal.

And I'm doing all of this knowing that I'll miss my Saturday morning run. My body yearns to run (or at least move) on Sat mornings and sitting in a car for the first two hours of the day (when I'm usually running) is cruel and unusual punishment.

But the kids and I had a great time and I know that's what is most important.

So, tomorrow Jenny, Cory, and Kevin are coming over to run with me at 7:30. I have to be in church so I need to be done by 9:00'ish. And its my birthday tomorrow so I want to run with my friends.

The downside (and this is a BIG downside), is that it's Daylight Savings Time tomorrow so we have to move our clocks forward, which means I'll lose an hour of sleep. Arrgggh!

So wish me luck getting out of bed in time to run at 7:30, which will really be 6:30 AM...the things we do for triathlons!

No comments: