Friday, March 12, 2010

Flip Floppin' the Workouts

Wow, this week flew by fast. And nothing went as planned. But you know, that's the name of the game when you're trying to fit your training in around soccer and choir schedules, work, and all the other stuff most people do. When people ask me "how do you fit it all in?", I honestly don't know!

So here's a recap of the week:
Sunday - This was the weirdest day. We had a ride scheduled at 2:00 PM because we heard the weather was finally going to be nice so I didn't run in the morning. But when I took Daisy for a walk, I felt strangely energetic and really wanted to run. I jogged a bit and really had the urge to do a 5-6 mile run but told myself that no, I better not, since I'm riding at 2:00 and since I ran 12 miles on Sat, it was ok not to run.

But the weather was so cold and crappy that we aborted the ride. I was bummed because i could've run in the morning and now I was out both a run AND a ride. But it was way too cold and grey to ride. So, I went with my kids to a park to fly a kite and guess what, the sun comes out and it warms up 10 degrees (at least it felt like it) and was absolutely beautiful!  I could've rode after all. ARRRGGGHHH.

Monday
Master's swim. Felt pretty good. Had to leave by 7:00 to get kids to school but got in 1500 yards. I decided that that is ok for now. Until school is out, swimming 1500 - 2000 yards on Mon and Weds is good enough.

Went home and ran a good run but I don't remember how far it was right now...I think 5 miles

Tuesday
Rode my trainer 30 mins

Wednesday
Master's swim and fast 6 mile run. Felt good. Ran up Bunny Hill twice.

Thursday
Can't remember right now...

Friday
Rode my trainer: 20 min warm-up, then did 8 x 1 min bouts of fast spinning (90 rpm), then 12 x 45 second bouts of fast/hard spinning at 80 rpm. Had to get kids to school so got off bike, put on running clothes and after dropping off kids, took Daisy to Josephine Jones Park and ran her around there. It was warm enough I could've wore shorts!  Felt good. Need to find time to lift!

Tomorrow I am taking kids to Eldora for snowboarding lessons. Then on Sunday, which is my birthday, I'm running 90 mins with Jenny and whoever else shows up.

I've been thinking a lot about the Ironman. I really want to go for a faster time this time and how I'm pretty motivated to train hard. I've been thinking a lot about my training schedule too...its gonna be crazy this year but I'm up for it. That's why this blog is helpful - keeps me accountable.

What I need now is a stronger upper body and more bike training. My running is solid and even though I complain about how slow I am as a swimmer, I know I can train up to where I want to be with swimming. But it will take diligence...and sacrifice....and a hefty dose of humor.

As my husband alwasy says, don't take yourself too seriously...

No comments: