Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Had a great swim and run on Monday but like anything else, there are always setbacks. And today I had a big one.

Got up on time, got to the pool on time (6:15 AM), had a nice warm-up....should have a great swim at Master's practice this morning. Richard's workout called for 2 sets of 5 x 150, with #1, 3, and 5 being fast (I think, its hard for me to see the board from my lane!).

Anyway, I was looking forward to doing the 150's because I like that distance - not too long, not too short. And it should've gone great but it didn't (at least not in my head it didn't).

Richard said "go" and we all took off. I've always been at the back of the pack, if not the last one altogether, but I am usually able to hang on long enough to finish within 30 seconds or so of everyone else (that doesn't sound like much but it actually is).

And today I'm in the lane with my friend, Sarah, who is recovering from a car accident she had in December. She is wearing fins, as she should be, so I know she'll be able to keep up, if not swim faster than me (she's really strong).

But, I was left totally in the dust. Totally. Everyone was so far ahead of me, they finished the first five 150's as I finished only 4. Sarah was several laps ahead of me. WTF???

If you've been reading this blog, you know I am not a good swimmer...or at least, that its the weakest of the three sports for me (swimming, biking, running). And despite having decent swim times at most of the tri's I've done (not fast but not slow either), I can't seem to feel very confident in my ability to swim well. And today pretty much made things worse.

So I'm in a funk now and I gotta pull myself up by the bootstraps. Sh*t happens, as they say. But I have some work to do before I feel ready to swim 2.4 straight miles in Arizona. In Florida, I had that short break on the beach where I could catch my breath. But not in AZ - its one long 2.4 mile stretch with no break (at least there won't be huge waves to contend with!)

I know I can do it - I don't doubt that - but I don't want to be left in the dust that day, nor any day for that matter. Time to get serious!

2 comments:

WildWill said...

We all have days like that, its done, its dusted ... just leave it in the past and move on.

If it was easy they wouldn't be so many obese people out there

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

You're right..thanks, I needed to hear that! I have a major love/hate relationship with swimming!