Thursday, February 4, 2010

Goofy Run

I woke up with a start at 5:00 AM today. Got up and felt unusually alert for that early in the morning. Decided to get a run in before taking the kids to school.

Another goofy thing about this morning is that it was 31 degrees at 6:30. Wow, heat wave!  Its usually between 15 and 20 degrees.

So, I quickly get ready and leash up Daisy. Off we go.

Its still dark and there's a light rain/snow coming down. Its very quiet and all you can hear is the sound of my feet hitting the pavement (until I turn on my Ipod, that is).

The rain/sleet starts coming down harder and it starts looking more like snow. But the temp is still fairly warm, probably still at 31, so just perfect. Daisy trots along happily by my side and all is well. I kinda like running in lightly falling snow.

We run down several neighborhood streets and I'm in my zone when out of the blue comes a friendly black lab (with collar on) running along beside us. I stop and look around for its owner. No one to be found. Darn it!  I want to keep running but I don't want this dog following us. So I back track and see a man scraping the ice off his windshield.

He points to an apartment where the dog lives. Fine, I'll go knock on the door and hopefully, deposit the dog (that is now getting on my nerves because he and Daisy are really going at it and she's tangled up in her leash now) and I'll go on my merry way.

Knock, knock, knock. No answer. Ring the doorbell (twice). No answer. Crap, there goes my run. I only have 45 mins to get a run in and 10 of it are already down the drain.

I stand there for what seems like a half hour waiting for someone to come to the door. What did they do, just let their dog out and go back to bed???

Finally, I try leaving and running down the street, telling the dog to "stay" as I leave. No luck. I stand there trying to decide, do I keep going and not worry about it, even though I know the dog will follow me?  But I'm heading toward 23rd Avenue which is a busy street and I really don't want this dog to get hit by a car.

Back I go and I knock again...and again...and again. Finally I try yelling loudly to hopefully arouse the (idiot) owner to come get his/her #$%% dog!  The neighbor of the (idiot) owner opens her door and says something in Spanish that I think was "its not my dog". I smile and tell her that I have to go, could you please hold the dog until the (idiot) owner opens their door???  She does but she doesn't look happy and I don't blame her.

So, I got maybe 30 mins of a run in. Really wanted the full 45. Oh well, its better than nothing. Grrrrrr

No comments: