Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kids Come First

Well, its Saturday and I didn't run today, first time in a very.....long....time. All my friends ran together today too (sniff, sniff). Where was I?  Shleppin' my kids up to Eldora for snowboarding lessons, that's where!

My kids are good skiers but like every other red-blooded Colorado kid, once they saw snowboarding, skiing was history.

Kurt and I didn't get it at first. After all, we had skied with the kids for 3 years now and had a wonderful time together.

With a heavy sigh, we gave in and signed them up. But you can't learn snowboarding in just one lesson - it takes many lessons. Hence, the 6 week Trek program at Eldora.

So, no long run for me today. And I must admit, its hard giving up my long run. And I don't have to totally give it up - I can do it on Sunday but I missed running with the group. Its the only time I see most of my friends. But its ok, I had a good time with the kids.

So, a few notes on the last few days:

Weds, Feb. 17th
Short, sloppy 4 mile run after swimming...not great but I got 'er done.

Thursday, Feb. 18th.
Well, what a run I had that day!  I didn't get my morning run in so I thought I'd take Daisy with me when I went to pick up the kids and run with her, while Kat was at WOW at tennis lessons (Evan went with Kurt to FC. When I left the house, it was partly sunny and 34 degrees. I wore my usual number of layers for mid-30 temps. By the time I got to Monfort, the temp had dropped 10 degrees! The wind picked up and it started snowing.

I dropped off K at tennis lessons and by then, it was downright freezing cold. The wind was fierce and it was snowing/sleeting steadily. Daisy was going crazy knowing that she was going for a run so I had to make a decision. Do I bag the run and watch K while staying warm and cozy or do I brave the wind and sleet for a good run with Daisy. I chose the latter.

We ran about 5 miles and I was frozen when I got back to the car. I had not dressed for the cold wind but decided to gut it out anyway. I ran Daisy behind Aims Community College and let her off the leash. That was fun! She zoomed all over the place like any respectable golden retriever puppy would do and I attempted a tempo run to keep warm.

But one thing I didn't think of...because the temperature had been warmer that day, there was a lot of mud. Daisy ran through as much of it as she could possibly find. When we got back to the car, she was soaked in mud, sleet, and snow. Lovely. I put her in the car pinching my nose already, knowing how much the car would stink when I came back.

Despite the bitter cold wind and the fact that my face was covered with sleet, I didn't care. I had a great run! 

Friday, 2/21
45 min Spinerval workout - ooh la la!  Felt great and really went for it.  Felt so good I couldn't stop and did something that I have never done: made my kids 20 mins late for school!  I just couldn't stop...shhh...don't tell anyone in the administration office at Monfort Elementary School!

No comments: