Monday, February 1, 2010

Multi-Tasking at its Best

Today is Monday so that means Master's swim. I made it to the pool but was very late (6:30) and missed the warm-up (darn it).

But it turned out ok because I got to "circle" with two really cool women: Natalie (see post from last week) and Sarah (my IM training buddy).

I did most of the workout but didn't have time to do it all, as usual. The interesting thing is, I'm finding myself wishing that I could. Every Mon and Weds, I leave the pool by 7:00'ish to get home and get the kids off to school. And I'm always happy to leave. Relieved, actually. But wouldn't it be nice to do an entire Master's swim workout for once?  More on that later.

I wanted to run after getting the kids to school but had too much work to do. Better get it done, I thought. So I did.

Six hours later and the kids come home. Usually, when they come home from school, I put away work and any hope for running or riding, so that I can focus on them. But today, I had a great idea!

They have been asking a lot lately if they can go "slide" down the hill at UNC (this is the hill we sled on when there's snow, which is around the corner from our house. But most of the snow is gone so no one is sledding right now). There's a few thin strips of hard-packed ice on the hill and we were over there last week with our sleds and the kids actually got some good runs in. And of course, they asked again today.

I started to give the usual response ("no, not now") but then a lightbulb went off. Why not kill three birds with one stone?  I need to run, Daisy needs some exercise, the kids want to sled....bingo!  We were out the door in 15 mins.

The kids ran with their sleds over to the hill and Daisy and I soon followed. The hill is very wide and the icy part is on the south end.  The kids sledded for a good half hour while I ran hill repeats and sprints across the playing fields.

I was surprised at how good I felt, considering the hard run yesterday and skiing on Saturday. But I felt like I was flying! I wore my Ipod and just sprinted up and down the hill 10 - 12 times and across the field 5 or 6 times (on very wet grass, somtimes splashing through puddles of icy cold water). Then, I walked the kids home, dropped off Daisy and went out for a fast 3 mile run. And even though I can tell I'm slower than I've been in years past, I felt strong and really good.

But the best part was combining my training with something that the kids wanted to do. They were in heaven being able to go sledding on a weekday and I was in heaven being able to run and watch them at the same time. Now, that's the way to multi-task!

No comments: