Monday, November 2, 2009

Blessings


Yesterday is a day that I won't forget. It started with a surprise at church: Lorin Cope, our interim assistant to the pastor (not sure of his correct title!), asked me to come up front during the church service. I was totally taken by surprise and wasn't sure what to expect.


I went up front and he announced that I was going to Florida this week and asked me to explain why. So I told the congregation and they clapped (and laughed) as I explained what I was doing...and that prayers during the swim portion of the IM would be much appreciated! Lark Hapke, our pastor, said the church wanted to send me off with their blessings. How nice!!!


Then, I got a call from Lizzy Ginger that afternoon to go for a slow, easy, pre-IM spin "out east". I had wanted to ride the Zip (fancy racing bike we have) and it was a beautiful day so I said yes. I had planned to work on UNC stuff all day but I couldn't resist the offer. So off I went with her on a new route "out east".


It was simply wonderful. The weather was perfect, the pace was easy and slow, and the route was devoid of traffic so we were able to ride side-by-side and just chat. We told our life stories to each other and I left feeling like I had a new friend. This is what life is all about - making connections with people you care about.


(We did something else on this ride that I won't forget: we both had to pee really bad and we couldn't find a secluded place so we just pulled over on the side of a wide-open country road and bared our bums to the wind - ha!)


Then last night, we went to a "send off" party at Cables End, organized by Jenny. That was truly the highlite of my day! It was for Marshall, Jade, and I and we had a great time. Many of our running/tri friends were there: Dan, Jenny, Kevin, Brenda, Todd, Jim, Duane, Paul, Jade and his wife (I don't know her name!), Lynne, Marshall, Sarah, and her hubby, John. Also, Allie, Logan, and Katie who were kind enough to sit with my kids. Last but not least was a dear friend of mine from church, a man I've gotten to know very well these last few months from a committee that we both serve on: Dick Bond. He is someone I admire and respect deeply and I felt honored that he came to wish me well.
What a day - I feel truly blessed!
Today I feel calm and confident. I decided not to train and to get my UNC work done. I will feel much more relaxed if I leave with my classes in order. Time to take a deep breath and get to work - everything is going to be ok.

No comments: