Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bag lady

After the awesome swim this AM (see below), we went for a short run (3.5 miles), and then spun our bikes around the parking lot to make sure everything worked right. I had just gotten mine tuned up before we left and I wanted to make sure the gears were shifting easily. Everything worked fine.

We walked over to the Expo, got registered and picked up our bags. So far, this was just like every other triathlon I've done. But the similarities stopped there.

Inside our bag was 5 more bags, each labeled as follows:
Dry clothes
Bike to run bag
Bike special needs bag
Run bag
Run special needs bag

We were given stickers with our race number on them and a sticker was to placed on each of these bags. Each bag would end up in a different place and it's crucial that you think through the different parts of the race and put what you need in that bag or else you'll be in trouble...

Here's what I have:
Dry clothes bag (what I will take to the start to put my dry clothes in) but since I have to walk to the starting line, I will actually put my swim stuff in it: wetsuit, goggles, swim cap, Body Glide, ankle bracelet with timing chip. When we get there, I'll take off my dry clothes and put on my swim stuff.

Bike bag - Helmet, sunglasses, gloves, sleeves (it might be cold at the start), bike jersey, bike shorts, shoes, water bottle with water in it, water bottle with Carbopro in it, water bottle with Gatorade Endurance in it, Powerbars, pbj sandwich, race belt with race number....need to also make sure there CO2 cartridges, extra tube, tire irons on the bike and of course, a sticker with my race number on the main frame and one on the stem (and one on my helmet).

Bike special needs bag (to be picked up at mile 49) - 2 more C02 cartridges, jacket (in case of rain), Powerbars, Ensure, EFS to carry in case I want it.

Run bag - Running top, running shorts, socks, and running shoes. Keep sunglasses and race belt with number on. This will be the 3rd time I've changed clothes in this race. I'm hoping the new set of clean clothes will make me feel fresh and ready to go (I doubt it but it's a nice thought!).

Run special needs bag - Bandaids, mole skin, chapstick, hat, long-sleeved shirt. This bag will have the least amt of stuff in it mainly because you don't wear much on the run and because you don't need to take so much nutrition or fluids with you. There are aid stations every mile with water, Gatorade, gu, Powerbars, defizzed Coke, chicken broth, oranges, bananas. So, i'm pretty much set.

Its a lot to think about. Marshall had all 5 bags laid out on the floor and we methodically thought through each part of the race and filled out bags. And I know I'm forgetting something.

The other cool thing about an Ironman, that is different than other triathlons (or marathons) is that they put your first name on your race number. That way people can really yell for you, which I totally will need starting at oh, mile 2.

One thing that is different this year from last year is the time change. Last year they had not changed the clocks back...this year they have. This means it gets darker much earlier, like around 5:00...which means I'll be running in the dark for about 3 hrs. Great. Did someone say they have alligators here???

The race course sounds good except for the tale end of the run (the most crucial part of the race, where most people either die or finish). They make you run by the finish line THREE times before turning to run down the finish "chute". Lovely. Do you know how hard it will be to run by a finish line after going 140 miles toward it for 12+ hours???

Tomorrow there's not much going on. Marshall wants to lounge all day and I do too...Kurt flies in around 3:30. Kevin will pick him up at the airport and I'll make dinner (pasta, of course). And then it's RACE DAY!!!

No comments: