Saturday, June 27, 2009

Whew - what a week! It started with Lake to Lake triathlon (L2L) in Loveland last Saturday.

L2L is an Olympic distance triathlon that is very popular here in Colorado. The distances are: 1 mile swim, 30 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. Doesn't sound that hard the it is. The bike course is the hardest part as it winds it's way up through Horsetooth Reservoir where there are some big hills.

A group of us from Greeley did L2L. For me it went pretty well except for the swim start. I had a panic attack (again) and almost turned back. Couldn't seem to get my breath and it's a little hard to put your face in the water when you feel like you can't breathe!

Plus, there was a huge traffic jam of people in my wave and I literally couldn't get into the swim position until I got to the first buoy - too many arms and legs thrashing about. It took quite awhile to calm down.

The good news is that I was not tired at the end of the swim. I felt fine! The strength-training is finally paying off.

Felt good on the bike and run but could tell that I haven't done any speedwork in my training. Felt like I was moving slower than I should have been but I wasn't tired or hurting so that's good. Finished 5 mins faster than my race time in 2007!

Took Sunday off and ran a hard 6 on Monday. Swam a slow 800 yrds at noon on Monday too. Tuesday I swam again, still tired. Weds I got my butt out the door at 6:30 AM and rode to Johnstown and back (not sure how far it is but it took me 2 hrs). I have to ride early because the kids get up around 7:30 or 8:00 and this way, they aren't alone for too long.

Thursday I ran again and yesterday I swam 1000 yds at noon.

Today I rode 60 miles! Rode with Marshall, Sarah, and Kevin. We had planned to ride only 40 - 50 miles but ended up going all the way to the Pawnee Grasslands, which was 60.1 miles from our starting point (according to Sarah's computer). Had a fantastic time!

The cool thing is that I wasn't that tired when we finished. Had severe pain in my left toes and foot but other than that, felt pretty good. I even had a 2nd wind toward the end of the ride. So glad to get the miles in!

Too tired to write more so will end now....more thoughts later.

No comments: