Saturday, July 10, 2010

Training Plan

The pressure is on now - I got a training plan from Wendy Mader!

Yes, THE Wendy Mader - overall female finisher (amateur division) in the 2008 Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.

She's done some 9 Ironman triathlons and usually finishes in under 10 hrs. Her swim times match the pros and she's an amazing cyclist too.

She owns t2coaching in Windsor and is the CSU triathlon coach. Needless to say, it feels pretty cool to have a training plan from her.

I've mentioned here many times that we (Brenda, Sarah, and I) are going to follow Gale Bernhardt's Ironman training plan, like Marshall and i did last year for the Florida Ironman. But Brenda felt that we should review the plan with Wendy and get her advice. Not hire her as a coach but do a one-time consultation with her.

So B and S went and saw her a few weeks ago and I saw her on Thursday. We all came away with a totally different plan from Gale's. And I feel good about it.

I don't have anything against Gale's plan but Wendy has more experience than Gale and well, we could speak to her face to face.

So, what is the plan?  It's heavier on cycling and lighter on swimming than Gale's, which is fine with me. Wendy felt that I didn't need to swim 3 times a week, which was a big surprise. She said "you did a 1:20 Ironman swim in Florida, right?" and I said "well, it was 1:18" and she said "you don't need to swim 3 times a week" - that was music to my ears!

So, what is the plan?  Here is the general schedule for the summer (while we are swimming outside):

Monday - lake swim (45 - 60 mins, my choice; her plan starts when Master's goes inside)
Tuesday - run
Weds - bike/run brick
Thurs - off (yes, I actually have a rest day!)
Fri - Spinerval bike, low intensity
Sat - Run long - 1.5 - 2 hrs
Sun - Ride long - 2 - 5 hrs

After September when Master's moves inside - the real plan starts then:

Mon - Master's swim (2000 - 4000 yards)
Tues - 6 - 10 miles of tempo running
Weds - Master's swim, bike 2-3 hrs and run for 30 mins
Thurs - off
Fri - Spinerval, low intensity
Sat - Run 2 - 4 hrs
Sun - Ride 3 - 7 hrs

Sunday and Weds will be the hardest days. I feel good about the swim and bike part of this plan but not the running (speaking after running 9 miles today and my hip hurt like hell).  I honestly don't know if i'll be able to run on Tuesday - I'm worried I'll be too sore from Sunday. But we'll see.

I'm excited about training but a little nervous about it. Its more than what I did last year but that's what I need, I think. I just don't know if my body will hold up!

Today I ran with Kevin and Dale at Jo Jo - we ran around the outer circle 6 times, which is 1.5 miles per loop. I really enjoyed running with these guys - they are so nice. But my hip really started hurting during the run and I could hardly walk afterwards. Ice'd it and took Celebrex and it was better but it really makes me wonder how I'm going to increase my mileage.

Tomorrow I'm riding up to Estes with Scott Taylor - another great guy. I've mentioned him before - he's training for Florida IM.  Taking my road bike - hope I make it up the Glen Haven switchbacks!

No comments: