Wednesday, July 21, 2010

For Better or For Worse...

Well, this is a first. A BIG first. I rode with my husband this morning and well......he couldn't keep up with me!

I never thought I'd be writing that sentence!

But I need to mention a few things. First, he is recovering from an Exterra triathlon that he did last weekend. Xterra races include mountain biking and trail running. This race in particular was held in Beaver Creek (9000 feet) and it was a very difficult course.

Ok, so he was tired. And his shoulder hurt. And he didn't have aerobars like I do. And, it was the first time he was on a road bike all summer. But I still beat him (and it made me very happy - can you tell?).

I have been looking at my husband's back for the last 17 years whenever we ride or run together. He is a very fast runner (34 min Bolder Boulder 10K and 2:46 marathon - need I say more???) and a fairly fast cyclist. But not this summer!  Ha!  I'm on a major cycling roll and I want to milk it for all it's worth!

We started the ride with Colleen and Todd, the same two people I rode with last Weds - both very fast cyclists. So I thought I was in for the ride of my life and was quickly surprised when Kurt dropped back from the very start. I kept turning around and wondering what was going on.

So I had to make a decision. I was feeling great and chompin' at the bit to get going but Kurt wouldn't be able to keep up. Do I ride on with Colleen and Todd so I get a good workout in?  Or do I be a good wife and hang back with my dear husband?  I chose the latter.

We had a nice ride together. The sun was breaking through the clouds like it was last week and the view was fantastic. But I won't lie, it was hard. I wanted to go faster so bad! But when I thought of all the times he waited for me, I realized that I needed to do the same. That's what marriage is all about, right?

We got in 30 miles and that's pretty good. Colleen and Todd enjoyed their ride too. And well, there's always next week!

No comments: