Sunday, August 29, 2010

Nice Recovery Weekend

Well, it wasn't exactly a recovery weekend but close.

Saturday I woke up really worried about my knee. I had felt twinges of pain the night before and I needed a long run on Sat. So, I drove to Jo Jo and gingerly set off on a 90 min run (with heel tightly wrapped and orthotics in shoes). I ran very, very slowly at first holding my breath to see if my knee hurt. Please, please don't hurt - I really, really want to run!

I ended up finishing the 90 mins without a lot of pain. There was a little pain - in both heel and knee - but it seemed to go away after awhile. I was finally able to relax and settle into a comfortable pace.

I ran by myself because most of my training group was in Steamboat for the Steamboat Tri and Dan was doing something else. I didn't mind - I really enjoy long runs by myself. I like to wear my Ipod and just let my mind go. I can go at my own pace and stop when I need to. I wouldn't want to run alone every weekend but once in awhile is very therapeautic.

On Sunday, I met my friend Scott at the Boulder Reservoir and we rode to Carter Lake and back - about 65 miles. I was supposed to only do about 40 but didn't want to pass up this opportunity. The countryside outside of Boulder is just spectacular - green grass, blue skies, mountains in the background - love it!


Both Scott and I were feeling tired today so we kept the pace fairly moderate. We chatted most of the way and had a nice time. The climb up to Carter Lake was tough - harder than when I did it in May (Community Classic) and we had a stiff head wind when we turned around. There were white caps on the lake.

We saw so many cylists today!  There was a ride going on called Venus de Miles, which I found out later was an all-woman ride. I read tonight that there were 1800 women of all levels in this ride!  But we saw lots of other cyclists too.

Compared to last weekend, when I ran 12 miles and biked 75, this was a recovery weekend but I didn't exactly follow the training plan. Oh well, I'm just glad I was able to run and that I got in some easy miles on the bike.

Tomorrow I swim at Master's...and the beat goes on....

No comments: