Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Madness at Master's Swim

Made it to Master's Swim today and glad I did. Right now it's just a "mini-session" so the workouts are supposedly not as hard but they're hard enough for me.  And I learned some new stuff today.

After the usual warmup, of which I did only half since I was running late (200 freestyle with 2 50's choice), we did a main set with about 1200 yards:

25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 300, 200, 100, 75, 50, 25; each with 20 - 40 seconds rest in between. That's the hard part - not being able to rest. We did the first 3 or 4 bouts very, very fast. It was good practice for swimming while being hypoxic because i couldn't breathe fast enough to catch on the shorter ones. And I was swimming next to Al which was totally intimidating!  But amazingly, he wasn't that much faster than me on the 25's and 50's. He zoomed ahead on the 100 and 200.

But the cool thing is that I got some great advice from Al. Everyone knows Al in Master's Swim because he is so fast. He doesn't usually say that much to me but today he reached over the lane thingy and grabbed my arm. He said "you need to do this" and he demonstrated what I need to do with my arm. It was totally different than what I've been doing. But it also made sense.

The workout was over and I had to leave but just had to write this down...really looking forward to trying what Al suggested. I'm too tired to write more so will sign off for now. More soon

1 comment:

Mad Men Girl said...

You go girl! I also have a quest...

I've entered a contest to win a walk-on role on that retro-licious TV show, "Mad Men".

If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of seconds to vote for me, go to my blog, or copy and paste the following link which goes right to my picture:

http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

Thanks a bunch!