Sunday, August 22, 2010

My New Favorite Route: Kevin's Ride

Wow, what a ride today! And what a turn-around from yesterday.

We did "Kevin's Ride" - a route that Kevin did when he trained for IM Wisconsin. From his house, it's about 56 miles, give or take a few, and he would ride it twice sometimes.

I actually started from my house and rode to Sarah's, which is about 4-5 miles from here. We then did Kevin's route, which took us to Johnstown (just east of) and then south on a fabulous country road that had almost zero traffic on it and spectacular views of the front range.

We then headed west to Berthoud, then back north, then east to I-25, then north on the frontage road (we missed it and tacked on an extra 4-5 miles getting back to it)... then Marshall headed back on highway 34 while Kevin, Sarah, Brenda, and I headed north on Crossroads Blvd. Kevin split off at the roundabout and S, B, and me went of to just about Kodak, where I went on ahead.

This route is really nice. We had hardly any traffic and great views the whole way. We pretty slow in the beginning and I found myself wanting to go faster. But I just hung with the group until we hit the chip seal road heading east to I-25. For some reason, I felt really good and decided to speed up. I thought they would catch me but if not, I'd wait for them at the next stop. It was that way the rest of the ride - I kept going on ahead because I was feeling really good. I felt a little funny passing everyone after we had stopped and started but I was feeling so much energy that I decided to go with it. That doesn't happen often.

All told, I think we rode around 65 -70 miles. Maybe more. I'm just happy about how good i felt. I wish my running was going that well but hey, I'll take it!  Now it's time for a nap...

Next time, I will write more about nutrition...I think that played a big role today for me.  TTFN

No comments: