Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day Indeed!

Wow, what a difference a few days make. My last entry was last Tuesday, at the start of some kind of GI bug illness I had, and now, 5 days later, I'm on top of the world.


First, its a beautiful day - sunny with a forecasted high around 76 - and its Mother's Day, which is one of my favorite days of the year!  When you have young children who get super excited about making you a card, it takes on a special meaning.

But there other reasons to be happy today. My friend, Dan, is running his first marathon as we speak (he should be at mile 10 - 11 right now as I'm typing this - go Dan!) and Sarah, my Ironman-training buddy is running her first half-marathon (go Sarah!). Also, Jenny is doing the half and Dale is doing the full (both old-timers at these distances). We've been training together for a long time so I'm psyched for all of them.

Then, the other cool thing is that I am going to ride my bike to Windsor, taking my favorite route, which on a day like this will be breathtaking (I'll be riding west toward the mountains and I love looking at them as I ride), and Kurt and the kids are going to pick me up west of Windsor, on our way over to hike Horsetooth Mountain trail. A bike ride AND a hike with my family - it just does not get any better than that!

We're also going to pick up a friend of mine and her two sons, one of which was adopted from Siberia and who we've known for many years. Anton and Katerina used to play together when they were 3 and 4 so this will be a special reunion.

Then, to top it off, we'll go to the Rio (with my mom) later tonight to celebrate Mother's Day but also to see Dan, Sarah, and others who are going there to celebrate their runs.

And re training...I had a pretty good week...swam on Weds, ran on Thurs, biked inside on Friday, and ran an hour yesterday (yes, a whole hour!) and felt great!  I had a little pain in the hip but nothing more than usual.

It's amazing what a difference a few days make...

No comments: