Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes!






In my last post I said I was draggin' my feet. Not too unusual, I don't think; everyone has a "down day". But I'm happy to report those feelings passed and I'm back in the groove again.






So, a few workouts to mention. First, last Saturday I ran 10 miles by myself (just worked out that way and it was fine). But I left the house an hour late and it got hot very fast. I was sweating like crazy by the time I got home. And I didn't feel particularly good - it was one of those runs you do just to get it done.






Then Sunday! Oh my gosh, Sunday. I rode to Estes Park with the Twin Rivers Cycling Club and wow, what a ride! Those guys are fast! Well, there's one woman - Colleen Murphy, who is a spin instructor at WOW (I've known her for years) and she is incredible. I saw her in the beginning and that was it. She was gone.






Sarah and Michelle went with me and we tried to hang with the guys but they are just too fast. They ride all the time and have been riding for years. I was at the back of the pack but was able to inch ahead gradually, until I finally caught John Kinne (group leader). We rode together for awhile and a few other guys came up from behind.






We took the Glenhaven route which has one of the steepest hills in the state - seriously! I don't know what the % grade is but it's gotta be close to 100...no just kidding... it's very, very steep. It's the steepest climb I've ever biked and maybe one of the hardest physical challenges i've ever encountered. I literally hear my heart pounding when I ride this section of the route!






So, we headed up Glenhaven and stopped in the town first to re-fuel. By then we'd already ridden at least 15 miles up the canyon and I was pooped. Off we go...or should I say UP we go.






I'm happy to say that I made the climb. I gave it all I got and was sweating profusely - but I made it. Here's a picture of us at the top. From there, we rode into Estes and then back down to Loveland on Highway 34 (not a good idea on a Sunday in July - too much traffic!).






Even though it was downhill, we still had to pedal most of the way, due to a stiff headwind coming up the cabin. The wind was so loud that we didn't speak a word all the way down. It took us 2 hrs to go up and 1 hr to go down. The canyon was beautiful and I enjoyed the scenery immensely. But by the time we got down, I was so tired, hot, hungry, and sweaty that I wanted to just drop. It ended up being 46 miles but a very hard 46 miles.






I love doing that ride and hope to do it again soon (weird, I know!). But will not ride it on a weekend again!


Then on Monday I did my first real "white cap" swim...the water was so choppy that there were white caps. AND, more importantly, it was my first attempt at swimming the perimeter of the lake.

Fortunately, I had some cool women with me: Brenda, Sarah, and Hannah - all good swimmers. I felt much better having them swim along with me. I ended up swimming most of the perimeter but cut it short due to the turbulent waves....I actually enjoyed swimming in the waves (and told myself it will help me get ready for Florida) but I thought everyone was heading back early due to the waves but they weren't. By the time I noticed that they were continuing on, I was already half-way back to the gazebo. But it was ok, I was really happy with how far I had swum (is swum a word???).

I did notice that my arms were tired and no one else had tired arms. It tells me that I need to swim more consistently and to step up my weight-lifting. I have the fitness level to swim 2.4 miles but not the arm strength yet. But that WILL come!

On Tuesday, I did Master's swim practice but couldn't keep up (as usual) so I did most of the workout in fins and just went my own pace. If I focus on how far behind I am, I just want to stop and go home. So, I just did my own thing and it was ok.

Tuesday I ran 7 miles - felt good. Lifted weights

Wednesday, I rode a fast 2 hr ride to Windsor and back by myself. I had a short window of opportunity so I pushed the pace as hard as I could. It felt wonderful. I think with proper training, I would be a better cyclist than runner. At the very least, I'd like to keep up with Marshall!

Today, which is Thursday, July 16th, I ran a tempo run. Hope to swim at the lake tomorrow AM - yikes - 6:00 AM!

No comments: