Saturday, June 19, 2010

So Far, So Good

Ran 80 mins today with "the boys" at Jo Jo (aka, Josephine Jones) park. I needed to stay on soft surface and this fit the bill.

It was an interesting run. Dale, the guy in the white singlet at left, wanted to run around 16 miles and he wanted to do it all at Jo Jo.

He does this once in awhile: plans a monster long run at either Jo Jo or Bittersweet Park. Why he doesn't do a longer route is a mystery to me.

He said he'd like to make it into a fund-raiser someday. Not sure how that would work out but hey, I'd chip in a few bucks.

He started running around 5:30 and he planned to keep going until 10:00 or so (something like that). I decided that I should run with him instead of my other friends, since I needed a soft surface and also because I wanted to help him out.

So, I get there at 7:30 and like always, I started off slow and easy. Dale and Duane were coming up the hill and I ambled along beside them...that is, for about 50 feet before they took off!  I had no idea they would run that fast! 

I finally caught up with them but I was huffin' and puffin'. I couldn't keep up so I slowed down to my usual long run pace. Todd waited for me on his bike and rode along with me for several miles and we had a nice chat. He's going through a major change in his life so we talked about relationships, life, and seat posts. That made it much better.

I was also glad to be running with people I hadn't seen in a long time. I feel kind of like a lone ranger anyway since I'm doing almost all of training by myself (due to my kids schedules and my friends' work schedules). It gets kind of lonely sometimes but I don't really have a choice. More on that topic later.

But the good news is that I didn't have any hip or heel pain during the run, but as usual, I did have some after the run. But it was mild and I ice'd my heel for a good 30 minutes, which seems to help a lot. If it stays like this, I can handle the training but I won't be surprised either if it gets worse. I just really, really, really want to keep running so I hope and pray that it doesn't!

Weekly Recap: Yesterday Kurt and I swam at the lake and I think I mentioned the 25 mile fast ride to Pierce on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm riding the L2L course with Sarah, Brenda, Todd, and Scott (and maybe others, i don't know). Its 24 miles but goes around Horsetooth Reservoir and up those steep hills. I'm actually looking forward to it!  Kurt is fixing my bike seat as I write this and I can't wait to get back on my racing bike!

TTFN

No comments: