Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Ran 9 Miles....and Now I Can't Walk

Life is full of ironies and so is training for an Ironman.

Last Saturday I ran 9 glorious miles (see previous post). It felt so good to be running long again AND to be running with my friends (I'm not sure they noticed I had been MIA but I did).

Anyway, I felt so good that I decided to sign up for Lake 2 Lake triathlon, which is June 26th. Since I didn't finish the Greeley Tri, it would really do my psyche some good to cross a finish line. I just hope I can get my bike fixed by then (waiting on Felt to send the right part for my seat...grrr....).

I signed up Saturday afternoon and later that day, noticed that I wasn't putting any weight on my left heel when i walked around the house. Why?  Because it hurt....uh oh. This is not good. I promptly ignored the pain and told myself to just pop a Celebrex and see how it was on Sunday.

Sure enough, the pain was still there Sunday morning but now it was worse. I couldn't put weight on it at all. Crap!  First my hip, now my heel.

Kurt was dashing out the door to go to work (his call weekend) so I quickly asked him what it might be. "Sounds like plantar fasciatas to me".  Plantar what?  I had heard of it but hadn't a clue what it was. He also said that that is what Todd, our injured Ironman friend also had. So I called Todd.

Long story short, I do have PF. The good news, according to Scott Taylor, podiatrist friend of ours who is training for Florida IM, is that I can probably train through it as long as it doesn't get worse. He said to ice it 4-5 times/day and keep taking Celebrex. He said that if it worsens, that I will have to stop for awhile. This is not good with a half-Ironman coming up in early July, followed by a 13 week full Ironman training plan.

I did two short runs since Saturday, both of them on grass and it felt ok. I could feel some pain but it wasn't too bad. I ice'd it and I'm icing it now. We'll just see how it goes.

Other training news....

Kurt and I swam at Centennial Pool on Monday and I felt fantastic!  I swam 13 or 14 laps (100 meters each) and felt like I had hardly swam at all.  It was amazing!

Rode 20+ miles with my new friend, Brian, on Wednesday morning - felt fantastic then too!  Biking and swimming are going so well. I love riding in the early mornings and plan to keep going with it until the Ironman, if I can.

All in all, not a bad week. I'm planning to swim at the lake tomorrow, run Saturday AM with the group and bike on Sunday morning (but not sure where yet).

TTFN

No comments: