Thursday, April 16, 2009

Delayed

Whew...time has flown by. I'm still here...still training....just busy, busy, busy. Got in some good runs while in Moab (great place, btw). Got a few good swims in too.

Kurt and I rode to Milliken the other day. Nice short ride - about 20 miles. It was very windy! He flatted on our way back but got it fixed fast.

I've decided to not go to Oklahoma City for the National Club Championships in September and to enter 5430 Long Course instead for several reasons:
  1. I'm teaching two classes in the fall at UNC and will be very busy. It's hard to cancel class early in the semester because I have a lot of important material to cover the first month. Also, the other class I'm teaching (Nutrition for Collegiate Athletes) is new and I'm starting it from scratch. I'll need the time on the weekend to be prepared (I know that sounds weird but it's true).
  2. Kurt and I want to go to the UNC/KU game in Lawrence on Sept. 5th, which means I will have to miss a class day. I can't cancel class twice in the first month. Also, I can't ask my mom to watch the kids TWICE in one month.
  3. We don't have anyone to watch the kids. My mom is here and we're hoping she'll watch them when we go to the KU game.
  4. The weather is iffy in OK city that time of year (although that wouldn't keep me from going).
  5. It's kind of expensive and I've already spent way too much on other races I'm doing this year (including the IM!)

It was a hard decision because I really wanted to go with the club (Greeley Tri Club). We all went together to St. Louis several years ago for the national club championsips and had a blast. Marshall is going this year and I was looking forward to doing a race with him.

But the first three reasons above are pretty important. Boulder's 5430 Long Course is still open and it appeals to me because it's before UNC starts, it's cheaper, and the weather is predictable (hot but not unbearable). I like the idea of getting a half-ironman overwith before school starts. I'll miss not being with the club but there's always next year....


Planning to start the big training plan soon...I thought the start date was April 28th but Marshall said it was May 10th. Got to get the big calendar out and re-count the weeks. November 7th minus 26 weeks is......????

No comments: