Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Beer a Day Keeps the Pain Away

You'll never believe what I did this week. Me, sports-dietitian, middle-aged mom me, decided to run track AFTER drinking a beer. And it gets worse: I did master's swim early in the morning, a trail run with friends at 11:00 AM (that included a steep hill climb and descent), and then somehow decided it would be ok to do a track workout later that day AFTER drinking a beer. Yeah, I did that.

Lest you think I'm the BA woman of the day, let me tell you that I couldn't walk for two friggin' days afterward. I'm serious. I was so sore I had to crawl to the bathroom the next morning.

Ironically, the beer didn't create any problems. I felt fine. It was the 3-workouts-in-a-day that caused the problem (followed by a hard ride on Thurs and swim on Friday).

That was last Wednesday. Today is Saturday and I was still really sore when I got up this morning. But like any red-blooded IM-trainee, I did a long run and pretty much obliterated my quads to pieces (who needs quads anyway?). Ironmans are all about enduring pain, right?

Actually, beer has some health benefits.I even wrote an article about it on GOTRIbal.com. Check it out if you want to know more:
http://www.gotribalnow.com/expert/beer-day-keeps-doctor-away

Tomorrow I am planning on a 55-mile ride with friends. This time, I'll wait until AFTER the ride to enjoy a cold one (and will refrain from subjecting my body to increasing amounts of intense training throughout the day....wait, isn't that called recovery???).

No comments: