Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

Finally, it's here. My 2nd Ironman and possibly my last. So much to say!

Recapping the last few days:

Thursday
Kevin, Todd, and I drove 4 hrs from Holbrook, AZ, to Tempe. It seemed like it was going to take forever to get there.

When we got to Tempe, we drove straight to the Expo. There weren't many people there yet but it was exciting to see all the Ironman trucks and signs. My heart started beating a little faster seeing the lake that we'd be swimming in. Here is Kevin and I standing near the Expo, with the bridge that we swim under in the background.

We went to the Ironman store and bought some stuff (ka-ching, ka-ching!). A common joke among IM'ers is how much money IM makes on all of us suckers!  Everything there is so expensive and its a little frustrating. A water bottle cost 5 bucks. Bike jerseys are $80. You get the picture.

Sarah and Brenda were flying in that afternoon so while we waited for them, Kevin and I went to Athlete Check-In. Its pretty cool seeing your name printed on the race numbers and everything else. Ironman does treat you pretty well (and they should considering how much money we spend!).


Finally everyone else arrives and they get checked in too. Brenda has rented a house through VRBO and she offered to let me stay there thursday night so we go there before the TriSports dinner that we were all going to that night.  We're only there a few mins before we head back in town for the dinner.

Had a great time at the dinner. It was outside at a really nice bar. We enjoyed free drinks and dinner and laughed the whole evening. There was a speaker - Matt Long - a NYC firefighter who was a first reponder to 9/11 and who was run over by a bus a few yrs ago, only to come back to do an Ironman was there and he told his story. It was pretty cool.



Then everyone went to their places - Brenda and I to her place; Sarah, John, Kevin, and Todd to Sarah's condo that she had arranged to stay in (for free! It belongs to a co-worker).

Brenda and I stayed up and talked for awhile, which was really nice. We hadn't gotten to do much training together (other than riding on Sundays) because of my running injuries so it was nice to just chat for awhile. I really like her.

Friday
Kevin, Todd, and Sarah came over to our place with the bikes. We got them out on the lawn and the boys tinkered on them for a bit before we took off for a test ride - all 5 of us. After sitting in the van for 14 hrs over the previous days, I can't tell you how good it felt to ride my bike!  And it was a beautiful day - I wanted to ride forever.


After that we went into town for lunch, which took a long time. We were all tired and talked out by then but had a good time.


Kurt, the kids, my mom, and our friend, Dan, flew in on Friday afternoon. Lots of discussion re who was going where at what time and who was taking who where but it all worked out. By then, I was really ready to get to my hotel room and veg out. I had been living out of a suitcase for 3 days and just wanted to unpack and rest. But we had to to the welcome dinner and athlete mandatory meeting (with Kurt) and the kids wanted to swim so I took them to the pool for 30 mins before heading out for dinner.

I thought that we would meet up with everyone at the dinner but we never saw the rest of the group which was just fine. I hadn't seen Kurt in a few days so it was nice to just be with him. The dinner was outside and it was a beautiful night so it worked out great.

Toward the end of the dinner one of the speakers mentioned that the water temp was now 61 degrees. I totally freaked out. Seriously, I did. I almost cried. It didn't help matters that I was getting cold from sitting outside for awhile so the idea of getting into ice cold water on Sunday did not go over well with me!

Kurt tried to build me up by saying things like "oh, you'll be fine" but I knew darn well what he was thinking ("glad its not me!").  I had to do some serious self-talk that night. I went back to the hotel and sat on the couch. I told myself that I had to do it. Come hell or high water (or COLD water), I had to do the swim.

The funny thing is how it totally took my mind off the run!  I was now not worried about finishing the Ironman, I was worried about not finishing the swim!  The bike and run seemed to pale in comparison in terms of difficulty at this point.

On Saturday there was going to be a practice swim and obviously that would be a good thing for me to do. I was petrified. I really worried that I might panic and DNF. ugh.

Saturday
Not only did we have the practice swim but we had to turn in our bike and run bags. I had NO time the night before to pack these bags (with all my bike and run gear, which is a lot) so I had to get up at 6;00 and do it then. I layed everything out and stressed over every little detail. Maybe later I'll come back and include the list of things that went into those bags but not right now. Just take my word for it that it took awhile.

And its very tedious, esp since the "special needs" bags don't need to be turned in until Sunday morning.

So, the kids, Kurt, my mom, and I made it to the swim start (and lots of drama along the way with the kids but too long to write here). I was actually in good spirits. We lined up near the swim start and had pictures taken (which I would put here but having trouble with Blogger right now).

We finally got in. The cold temp took my breath away. But I just started swimming and before long, i felt ok. I really did. I actually felt great. Yay!!!!

I was SO relieved after doing that swim. I can't tell you how more confident I felt about it!  Brenda really got me fired up too when she said "we got it, sister!" 

Got my bike racked and bike and run bags turned in. Went back to the hotel and relaxed - finally!  Kurt took the kids to the pool and I got to relax in my room. We fixed dinner here in our room (we have a kitchen) and i worked on my special needs bags. Right now the kids, Kurt, and my mom are playing UNO while I relax (and write in my blog).

So much more to say. And I know this is more like rambling but I wanted to just get most of it down on paper and maybe I'll go back later and edit all of this. Sorry if it's not written well. Anyone who has done an Ironman will understand!

How do I feel?  I'm amazingly calm right now. I actually feel pretty good. I wish I was in better running shape and I feel like I peaked in October, but mentally I feel pretty good. I'll just take the day as it comes, rain or shine (and it might rain tomorrow!). I am going to try hard to finish before 9:00, which means it will be 13 hrs and some change. That's my main goal - I want to come in under 14 hrs. Other than that, I'm good.

I'll try to upload more pic's later...Blogger won't let me right now. So, good night and the next time I write in here, i will hopefully be an Ironman once again!

No comments: