Sunday, November 14, 2010

One Week From Today!!!

Can't believe we're finally this close - only one week to go! Need to write down a few thoughts...

I'm feeling scared. I would love to write about how ready I am to do an Ironman, how closely I followed my training plan and how confident I am in my ability to finish. But I can't. And I know this is not good. At this point I usually envision Cher in Moonstruck shaking her friend, saying "snap out of it!" and that seems to help.

So then I ask myself about each part of the race, whether I'm fit enough to complete them, and this is what I come up with:

Could I swim 2.4 miles today?  Probably

Could I bike 112 miles today?  Definitely yes, with ease

Could I run 26.2 miles?  Definitely no but no one runs the full IM marathon without stopping anyway (except the pro's) and since I've run 12 marathons over the years, I feel that my experience of going that distance will help me get through it PLUS I can run 12 or 13 without stopping and that's probably good enough to get me through it and it's all I could do anyway with the injuries I had. So there!

I can do it!

I know I'm not the only one with pre-race jitters. I've talked to several people who've done Ironman triathlons who say they feel the same way before the big day. And with all this tapering going on, I have more time on my hands to stress about it. ARRRGH!

So, catching up on workouts...I ran 1 hr and 20 mins (I think) with Dan, Brenda, and Marshall yesterday. We started from WOW and ran the usual 8 mile loop, except Marshall and I left early so we probably did only 7 (we stopped a few times, with one longer stop to chat before breaking off from Dan and Brenda). Had a great time - hadn't run with Brenda in ages and with Dan only once in recent weeks. So nice to have friends to run with once in awhile!

Today Kurt and I were going to try to ride outside - my plan calls for 2 hrs but the high is only supposed to be 40. Kurt really wants to do it but I'd just as soon ride indoors (did I really say that?) and get it done for the day. We'll see.

I plan to swim a regular Master's workout tomorrow and ride my trainer again on Tuesday. Then we leave on Wednesday!!!  Oh my gosh...that freaks me out even saying that!!!  Ok, I calmed down...we will drive 10 hrs on Weds, then only about 4 hrs or so on Thursday (I think). I'm driving down with Kevin and Todd, which should be pretty interesting!  Actually I think it will be fun. Kurt, the kids, and my mom are flying down on Friday.

More on all that later...I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it!

3 comments:

WildWill said...

Good luck

:o)

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Thanks!

TrevorD said...

You will be great Cindy. Trust what you know, control what you can and have fun. See you in 5 days!!