Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cloud Nine!

This was one of my best training days ever!  I rode 100 miles with two great guys - Todd and Scott. And I felt fantastic! 
Todd and Scott are very fast cyclists - they averaged 22 mph on the ride so it was hard to keep up with them. Actually, I didn't really keep up with them - they rode ahead and then waited for me. But I averaged 18 mph and felt really good.

I also feel good about my nutrition today. I carbo-loaded yesterday, which basically consisted of three over-sized, high carb meals with one yummy bowl of ice cream before bed (reduced fat, of course). Before the ride I had a huge bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, sugar, and milk added in. Then during the ride I consumed:
Two bottles of dilute Gatorade
One 8 oz container of 100% fruit juice (consumed when we stopped at the car to shed layers)
One half pbj sandwich (ditto)
3/4 of a Powerbar
One Soy bar
One package of "chews" (I'm blanking on the brand name right now)
One bottle of Boost (240 calories)

I felt like I over-ate but I also had tons of energy too. When we got back to the parking lot, I was curious to see what it would feel like if I ran, so I put on my sandals and ran around the parking lot! Todd and Scott were laughing their heads off. I actually felt good and was kicking myself for not bringing my running stuff!

If you've been reading this blog, you know how hard it's been for me not to run very well this year. So, to ride 100 miles at a fast pace and then get off and feel like I could run at least a 5k (probably more), was just a wonderful feeling!

The ride was good for a few other reasons as well. We started with a bigger group of people and its really fun riding with so many of my friends. We have such a fun group of people in our tri club. I feel very lucky to be a part of such a fun group.

So, an hour and 15 min swim on Friday and a 6 hr ride today - woo hoo!  I'm on a roll, baby!


(Sorry for all the white space - Blogger is very hard to work with sometimes!)

3 comments:

TrevorD said...

Congrats Cindy! Those break-through workouts are great mental boosts. Keep it up!

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Thank you!

stevie said...

well done cindy! how are you doing a year on?