Thursday, December 3, 2009

Brrrr!!!

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's running in the cold. And today was no exception. After dropping the kids off at school, I donned hat, gloves, fleece-lined tights, 3 base layers under a vest and jacket, and headed out into the frigid air. How frigid was it?  Around 8 degrees, I think.

For some odd reason, I like running in the cold. Granted, I prefer it to be warmer than it was today (mid-30's is my favorite running temperature), but there's something about braving the elements that gets me going. And I've always been that way.

I have one vivid memory of playing outside in December as a child. It was dusk and very cold outside (those Kansas winters were brutal!). I was by myself, as usual, and the darker and colder it got, the more I liked it. I could see the kitchen lights on in my house and my mom fixing dinner. I wanted to stay outside as long as I could until she called me in. I dared myself to "brave" the cold until she hollered at me to "get inside now before you catch a cold!"

I remember many winter afternoons and evenings playing outside by myself. One time I ventured down the hill to our pond and sliding out into the middle of the rock-solid ice. My dad was on his way home from work and caught a glimpse of me "skating" alone.  That was the end of that - next thing I knew I was in my room with a sore fanny!

So, I digress. I only had time for 4 miles today but it was better than nothing. I was plenty warm and couldn't care less about the strange looks I got from people driving by. Just me, my Ipod, and the cold...what better way to start the day!

No comments: